For my very first blog post, I wanted to put it right out there that we all are very unique individuals with unique goals and unique physiology. What may work for one person may not necessarily work for you. I have dabbled in a little bit of everything, when it comes to my fitness and diet regimen, because I like to experiment and find what’s best for me—what makes me feel good and nourishes my mind, body and spirit. This is what will keep you going and keep you feeling happy and healthy. Whether it’s CrossFit, yoga, Zumba, running, bodybuilding or whatever else… just “do you.” Haha 🙂
Anyway, in light of Valentine’s Day this week, I wanted to share this yummy Chocolate Covered Strawberries recipe we made in my Food Science Lab. These are so fun and easy to make and relatively healthy—just don’t eat all of them in one sitting. 😉
Strawberries are an excellent source of immunity-boosting
vitamin C, and the cacao in chocolate contains disease-fighting flavonoids. Oo la la..
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 oz. bittersweet (dark) chocolate chips
8 oz. strawberries (1/2 package)
- Rinse strawberries (keep stems on) and pat until completely dry. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Weigh chocolate chips and place in a glass bowl. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Take out and stir. Heat for another 30 seconds; take out and stir. If needed, heat at 20-second intervals, stirring often, until melted. Stop heating when most of the chocolate is melted; stir and the rest will quickly melt.
- Push a skewer into the stem end of a strawberry and dip it at least halfway into the warm chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to drip off, then place on the wax paper and remove skewer. Repeat until all strawberries are covered.
- Place baking sheet in refrigerator to allow chocolate to harden.
Voilà! By the way, for the sake of fun for the holiday, I might incorporate some white chocolate so I can play around and make fun designs. But generally, try and stick to 70% cacao or higher—otherwise, all of the added milk, butter and sugar basically outweigh the health benefits.
Make them for your significant other, family or friends. Have a great week, a Happy Valentine’s Day, and enjoy!! <3